A Firm Which Is Dedicated In Providing Access, Attention And Respect Your Case Demands

Available compensation after a California car accident

On Behalf of | Feb 15, 2021 | Car Accidents |

When the dust settles after a serious auto accident, you may feel overwhelmed by the bills associated with the incident. Beyond the medical costs of your injury, you have been spending a fortune on gas. You also had to hire someone to clean your house because you have lost mobility.

If this situation sounds familiar, explore the possible compensation you may receive after a California auto accident caused by another driver.

Types of compensation

California recognizes both economic and non-economic damages. The first category includes costs you can quantify associated with the accident, such as lost income, current and future medical expenses, rental car costs, and vehicle replacement.

Noneconomic damages do not have a standard monetary value but include loss of companionship, loss of affection, pain and suffering, disfigurement, disability, and emotional distress. Unlike some states, California does not have a noneconomic damage limit.

Damage limits

You can sue the other driver after an auto accident if you can prove he or she had primary responsibility for the crash. If the judge finds that you shared some fault, he or she will reduce your financial award by the fault percentage.

If you suffer injuries in an accident caused by another driver and you do not have insurance, you are not eligible to receive non-economic damages. However, you can still file a lawsuit for economic damages if you can illustrate fault on the part of the other motorists.

You have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit in California after an auto accident injury. If you plan to sue a government agency (if you had an accident with a postal truck, for example), you only have six months to claim legal compensation.